[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 22 01:13:49 CDT 2011

What is the basis of the belief that the Vedas are anadi and were not
created by Isvara? An answer is contained in the Vedas themselves. In the
Brhadaranyaka Upanishad(2. 4. 10) ---the Upanishads are all part of the
Vedas---it is said that the Rg, Yajus and Sama Vedas are the very breath
of Isarva. The word "nihsvasitam"is used here.

It goes without saying that we cannot live even a moment without
breathing. The Vedas are the life-breath of the Paramatman who is an
eternal living Reality. It follows that the Vedas exist together with him
as his breath.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

As said earlier, the exhalation of Ishwara not only contains mere veda-s
but also  itihAsa, purAna, vyAkaraNa, jyOtisha etc.  If we take
nishvAsitaM is the only pramANa to prove apaurusheyatva then we have to
say along with veda-s whatever text mentioned in that exhalation is also
aparusheya.  But that is not the case here.  apaurusheyatvaM has been
exclusively attributed to ONLY veda-s and we treat itihAsa, purANAdi-s as
paurusheya grantha-s.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar