[Advaita-l] Pitru Paksha questions.

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 22 03:29:29 CDT 2011

Personally,I feel that if one has come to Vedanta which is the Jnana
Kandha from the Karma Kandha,and is convinced of the Advaita siddhanta
that the "Atman is Brahman and eternal",one need not continue to perform
the shraddha to his ancestors.

praNAms Sri Srikanta prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I dont think so, one has to follow his svadharma and observe & follow veda
vihita karma-s (injunctions & prohibitions as enshrined in scriptures)  in
his respective Ashrama.  If not he will be treated as karma bhrashta.
pitru karma / shrAddha is one of such karma-s that we should not skip
saying that I am jnAni.  If this jnAni is gruhastAshrami, he has to follow
gruhasthAshrama dharma irrespective of his vedAnta jnAna.  He cannot
observe sarva karma saNyAsa being a gruhasthA.  sarva karma saNyAsa has
been prescribed only in tureeyAshrama i.e. saNyAsAshrama.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar