[Advaita-l] Pitru Paksha Questions

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:15:57 CDT 2011

Hari Om, Kman ji,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM, kman <krismanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find this comical for an Advaita follower.

I find the above statement comical.

> There is a saying in Tamil " vidiya vidiya Ramayanam kettu, Sethai ku Raman
> Chittappan endran"
> i.e "After listening to Ramayana all night this person said Rama is the
> yonger brother of Seetha's father!"

You seem to have used the phrase at a place where its not applicable, just
as you've used Advaita Vedanta's rope analogy to an existing snake, not
perceived snake in the rope!

> We have read so much about "Attachment - Bondage" and how to get rid of it.
> Now you are creating Bondage for
> your progeny! and worry yourself after death will my kid do this or not!

One "creates" bondage for the progeny by the very act of creating the
progeny, so to say, because the pitru RNa/debt passes on! That debt lies in
opportunity provided for the jIva/progeny to realize.

> Will I attain Moksha or not etc. (what if the kid dies immediately after
> the
> father's death?)

If such worry was there when alive for the jIva, how will it suddenly go
away just because one/sthula sharIra is no more? pitru paksha is precisely
for that reason where even the ones whose shrAddha is not being done get
taken care of.

> Also I see some of you saying until you take Sanyasa you have to continue
> the karma, formalities etc.
> It is same as saying, after I realized that it is only rope and not snake,
> but I still have to keep fearing that it is snake until I take sanyasa.

I urge you to kindly read Jaldharji's last mail on the topic once more,
especially his last paragraph to know why you've to keep "fearing" for the
debt you've taken. Why is the shrAddhA performed?

> It is like saying I can use e=mc^2 only if I am a scintist.

Scientist or where its applicable. I can't use that and say I will stop
eating matter and instead I can eat energy now, can I?

> So you keep learning all the fundamentals of Advaita and do not practice it
> until you become a sanyasi?

The Advaita Vedanta practice *is* following dharma, not giving it up!

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */