[Advaita-l] Pitrupaksha questions.

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 06:13:25 CDT 2011

> A:  Because the relatives do have a duty to fulfil.  From the GYAnin's point of view, performance of shrAddha is of no use.  However, the relatives continue to have their duty to perform shrAddha.  Just because one becomes a GYAnin, one's relatives are not absolved of their duty. They are bound to perform those actions that the shAstra-s have prescribed for them.
>
> There you are.  Quite "entertaining" isn't it?
>
> Owing to your penchant for grasping the wrong end of the stick let me spell out what Swamiji is saying here.  If one is a jnani, karma is no longer of relevance.  Hence it is renounced in totality.  If one is not a jnani regardless of ones level of Vedantic book-knowledge, one is bound to ones duty.  This is nothing near gYAnakarmasamucchayavAda and thus your quote from the bhashya on Gita 4:18 misses the mark.
>

> --
When you yourself is not performing why doyou bother about whether they are performing or not.It is just like telling when you yourself eat,why doyou bother whether they eat or not?It is just a hypothetical question.From your reply,if one is a Jnanin he should not and he will not bother about these questions.If he is not a jnanin this question will not arise.What will the relatives do.They will boycott the one who is not performing.They are already doing.Whatever it is no one can escape from answering the question why they are being performed.It is only shraddha-jadya which makes one to perform these.Now,you see it is not a penchant and not even grasping the wrong end of the stick.If any swamiji says that karmas must be performed,he is no longer a sanyasi.Because the B.G verse says:
such a one will not ask others to perform karmas'Navadvarepure dehi naiva kurvan nakarayan"Such a one who has completeunderstanding will not perform karmas and nor will he make it perform by others,for he will be called a "Mithyachari".Hence,my quote from the bhashya on B.G 4.18 is apt and doesnot mis the mark.
N.Srikanta.
N.Srikanta.