[Advaita-l] A news item

Venkatesh Murthy वेङ्कटेशः vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 05:55:23 CDT 2012

Namaste

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/08/14/we-are-all-hindus-now.html

AMERICANS ARE SAYING WE ARE ALL HINDUS NOW

America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation
founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of
us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest
percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or
Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus
live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on
Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are
slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians
in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

The Rig Veda, the most ancient Hindu scripture, says this: "Truth is
One, but the sages speak of it by many names." A Hindu believes there
are many paths to God. Jesus is one way, the Qur'an is another, yoga
practice is a third. None is better than any other; all are equal. The
most traditional, conservative Christians have not been taught to
think like this. They learn in Sunday school that their religion is
true, and others are false. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and
the life. No one comes to the father except through me."

Americans are no longer buying it. According to a 2008 Pew Forum
survey, 65 percent of us believe that "many religions can lead to
eternal life"—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group
most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the
number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing.
Thirty percent of Americans call themselves "spiritual, not
religious," according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in
2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has
long framed the American propensity for "the divine-deli-cafeteria
religion" as "very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You're not picking
and choosing from different religions, because they're all the same,"
he says. "It isn't about orthodoxy. It's about whatever works. If
going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great.
And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat
works, that's great, too."

-Venkatesh