[Advaita-l] Vegetarianism

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 00:42:46 CDT 2012

I agree. There is no binding rule for an atma jnani or god. But due to lack of selfish desire, they don't have tendency to do prohibited actions. What if they do due to purva karma vasana or for sport? Even if a sage like Vishwamitra eats dog's meat or Lord Krishna dances with other's wives that can't become a general rule.

Those who claim to be practising Hindus should only eat what is offered in a yajna. As daily and mandatory  yajnas don't involve animal aughter, they should eat vegetarian food offered to god. That is the general rule.

BTW, there is an indiscriminate slaughter of animals going on in a never before seen mass scale. Those who follow dharma have a duty to nurture these animals. Hindus, who eat and don't eat meat, cannot justify this cruelty on the grounds that a few non-mandatory yajnas involved animal sacrifice.