[Advaita-l] An instance of Advaita wrongly comprehended

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 08:44:05 CDT 2012

I like the opthamologist joke but my only suggestion would be to see one right away so that we can read what Sankara has written. In ishadhikaranaman, daharadhikaranam, BG 8, 15 etc. he explains nirupadhika ishwara clearly. There is no room for your position that He is not atma, no satyasankalpa etc. in Sankara's works. Nirupadhika Brahman / Ishwara is a  homogenous totality or purnam and hence negation of absolute reality of all particulars. Period.

I pointed out a mistake in your position that formless also implies nameless because Avyakta is formless but not nameless. No response. I pointed out to Sri Subrahmanian that Avyakta is not always considered insentient with reference to SB. No response.

If you agree with Sri Subrahmanian, you can very well agree with dualists. He is such a nice dualist who sees the difference between body and soul distinctly. He and Madhwas that he fights with may see a jnani's body as distinct from the Self. But as Sankara points outs in mamAtma verse quoted earlier, a jnani or god does not. His is the indescribable (lack of) view of the jewels by gold.

If a jnani sees and experiences the world just like others, then he should experience delusion and sorrow. If you agree he does not then you should agree his experience is different or ask him to consult a psychologist. I am not saying he sees a cat as a pot but he sees them in terms of their underlying reality as manifestations caused through the instrument of maya in/on Him, the Self of all.