[Advaita-l] Advaita-The Vedanta.

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 12:50:09 CDT 2012

Namaste,

A scholar has said in another forum, in reply to a query of mine, that the
term 'vishiShTAdvaitam' is found in the srIkanTha bhAShya (for the Brahma
sutra) as 'shiva-vishiShTAdvaitam' and 'vishiShTashivAdvaitam'. He says
that it is said that the srIbhAShyam of Ramanuja does not use this
term:vishiShTAdvaitam.'

Unquote

He could be right. Srikantha Sivacharya lived after Ramanujacharya. I find that Appaya, who lived in the second half of the 16th century, in his Sivadvaita Nirnaya calls Shrikantha's philosophy as Vishishtadvaita. It could be possible that Srikantha  lived after Narayana Tirtha, who passed away in early 14th century.  Srikantha thus could have lived during the period between early 14th century and late 16th century and that could also be the time when the term "Vishishtadvaita' was coined.

Regards,
Sunil KB