[Advaita-l] Interesting article.

Abhishek Madhyastha abhishek046 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 04:01:14 CDT 2012

On 8/18/12, rajaramvenk at gmail.com <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sankara, a theory, however eccentric it may seem, has to fit available
> data. There are evidences and tradition for Sankara to have lived 2500 years
> ago as well as the date of 8th  century. Most importantly he seems to end
> avatar in multiple places. My theory addresses all the data. No, I don't
> make fun on matters relating to acharya or tradition.

Actually there is one flaw in your theory Mr.Rajaram. Suppose we
accept that acharya gave up his body once after 32 years, then lived
with Sureshwaracharya for 1200 years & finally left his body in
Kanchi, shouldn't the Kanchi peetham have records of acharya passing
away in 820 AD? Instead their records say that acharya passed away in
509BC! If your theory were to be true, surely Kanchi peetham would
hold some records that acharya passed away 1200 years after giving up
his body once & not before 1200 years, i.e the time of acharya's 1st
death as you say.

One thing that amuses me is that the Puri Govardhan peetham is headed
by HH Jagadguru Nischalananda Saraswati who is the 115th pontiff or
so! While this is the case with Govardhan peetham, the Jagadguru of
Sringeri Sharada peetham is only the 36th Jagadguru. The number of
pontiffs of the Govardhan peetham is over 3 times that of Sringeri!
What could possibly be the reason for such a vast difference?