[Advaita-l] Gudharthadipika of Madhusudana Sarasvati

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 08:56:13 CDT 2012

IMO, with due respects Prof. Nelson got it wrong. Not his fault because
many talk about incompatibility of Bhakti and Advaita. The first contention
of these people, which includes advaitins, is that Bhakti needs two
entities. But according to Madhusudana, the highest bhakta is one who
realises "I am He" not one who thinks "I am His" or even "He is mine". At
this third level, there are no two entities but there is bhakti. The second
contention is that Ishwara, Jiva and Jagat are mithya. But for Madhusudana,
the particular conceptions of Ishwara are vyavahara but Ishwara Himself is
not. You dont transcend Ishwara but realise oneness with Him in His
svarupa, when He is non-different from your own innermost Self. Bhakti is
non-different from Ishwara and hence eternal. It is like Gaudiya Vaishnava
position where Bhakti is considered to be Radha and non-different from
Ishwara or Krishna.The third contention is that Brahman is not an
experiencer and hence there can be no bhakti rasa in moksha. But Brahman is
also not a non-experiencer. Madhusudana says that the bliss of Brahman is
non-different from the ananda of bhakti rasa.

Sringeri Acharya says that bhakti and Ishwaranugraha are required even for
Advaita Vasana. If that is so, what level of Ishwaranugraha is required for
advaya jnanam / uttama bhakti. All acharyas are great devotees and continue
to be so even aftet jivan mukti. Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal said the
acharyas have knowledge of bhakti rasas through direct experience long
before it was codified by Madhusudana. He did not off-hand remember any
reference to bhakti rasa in the upanishads but even if it is not it is
implied by reference to bhakti.

There is definitely a reference to bhakti rasa in Hari Vamsa known to
Sankara.

You need to do a critical study of the position of bhakti in the
upanishads. Sri Subrahmanian, Sri Vidyasankar, Sri Jaldhar Vyas and other
scholars on this forum may help. Sri Jaldhar Vyas seems to be aware of
Krishna Bhakti traditions specifically. But if you get the necessary help,
I suggest you make a trip to Sringeri to learn from the traditional
scholars there. Or meet Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal in Chennai. Otherwise,
your thesis may document erroneous notions such as incompatibility of
bhakti and advaita. I dont think you will find that to be the case because
Sridhara, the first ever commentator of Bhagavatham, was also an advaitin
and bhakta like Madhusudana.