[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 05:59:20 CDT 2012

PraNAms - In NyaayavaisheShika,  vikalpa method is used as a method in the arguments by providing possible choices for purvapashi's statement and refuting each of choices thereby dismissing the original statement as invalid. in that sense vikalpa is a choice, which shree Vidyaranya plays on that term to refute the Nayya philosophy itself as anyaaya in Ch.1 - tatva viveka in sloka 49-50,( I think).
From: V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>

>A: The absence of awareness of the distinction of the seer, the seen and
>the act of seeing is indeed its special characteristic.  The Atman is
>clearly perceived.  Further, supreme bliss is experienced.

Implication of the above statement that has the words - perceived - experienced - I would understand the distinctions of seer-seen-seeing or tripuTi are understood as mithyaa with clear understanding of the self that I am is the substantive of all without any above distinctions and supreme bliss is the nature of the divisionless state - as though - experienced since it is the self that I am which is aparoksham or direct and immediate.

Hari Om!
Sadananda