[Advaita-l] Are actions essentially meaningless?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 21:44:32 CST 2012

Namaste

Jnani will treat the actions like a dream. Good actions and bad
actions are dreams only. If he is doing bad actions it will not
disturb him. If you kill some person in your dream will you get
disturbed when awake? If he is doing bad actions they are coming from
Prarabdha. He is not doing any bad action with his own will. Because
he has killed his ego. He will not feel I am doing this action. All
his actions are happening without his ego and will power. They are
happening from Prarabdha. This Prarabdha is like a force. It will make
him do actions but he will not feel I am doing the actions.

Some Jnani may smoke. But this is coming from Prarabdha. He did not
start smoking after he became Jnani. He will see smoking like a dream
action. He may get cancer because of smoking. Even cancer disease also
he will see like a dream because disease is for body only not Atma.
But we are not like Jnani. We cannot see actions like dreams. We have
to avoid bad actions.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> ['Whatever is non-objectionable and laudable will have to be emulated by
> others and not the other actions (that are not in the 'worthy of
> emulation'
> category')
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> So, you are saying here, jnAni, most of the times would engage himself in
> doing  laudable actions, but occasionally he would also behave awkwardly (
> i.e. engaging himself in  not so  worthy of emulation activity ) due to
> his prArabdha / avidyAlesha, so people who have faith in him (as
> paramArtha jnAni) should pick and chose his activities cautiously to
> evaluate it for doing no harm to their faith in him as the 'jnAni'. If the
> occasional 'slip' is a common thing in jnAni, can we say a swamy who
> recently caught red handed in Bidadi in a 'not worthy of emulation
> activity', is the jnAni but its only an occasional 'slip' for him due to
> his prArabdha!!??  can  prArabdha karma make a paramArtha jnAni
> occasionally ajnAni, ignites the rAga-dvesha in him and force him to do
> 'dushkrutya' or not so worthy to follow activity??
>
> Somewhere in bruhadAraNyaka shankara says tattu sarvAtmabhAvAt arvAk
> vAlAgramapi anyatvena drushyate nAhamasmeeti tadavasthA avidyA,
> vAlAgramapi visheshaNa is important to note here).  If the jnAni
> occasionally does something questionable means his sarvAtmabhAva is
> oscillating that means sometimes he will be in avidyAvastha !! If the
> jnAni occasionally slips to rAga-dvesha due to prArabdha, then prArabdha
> karma is more powerful than that paramArtha jnAna as it has the capacity
> to drag the jnAni to koopa of rAga-dvesha, occasionally if not regularly
> !!??
>
> Finally, all these observations boils down to one fundamental question :
> Whether prArabdha causes 'mere' continuation of the jnAni's body (which is
> anyway hardly an issue for the jnAni as he is realized that he was/is/will
> be always ashareeri only) after realization OR this prArabha/avidyAlesha
> can influence the jnAni (or jnAni's mind to be precise)  occasionally to
> do the activity that is not worthy to follow??
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

-Venkatesh