[Advaita-l] Prapatti

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 06:57:15 CST 2012

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012, Ramesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> One who wants to go to kailAsa or vaikuNTha is not ready for
> advaita-vedAnta. Only one who is interested in mukti here and now, by
> owning up to one's status as nitya-shuddha-buddha-mukta, is a worthy
> student of advaita.

Only a true sannyasi can attain that status of a jivan mukta. Otherwise, it
is only a self deception. I am not opposed to intellectually understanding
Advaitam but realisation is only for one who has truly transcended all
desires. Even such atma rama Jnanis, Bhagavatam says, are attracted to the
super-excellent qualities of Hari. Madhusudana, a jivan mukta and a
paramahamsa sannyasi, says "let those who have truly controlled the mind
meditate on the white light (nirguna brahman) if they want. for us, who are
devoted, let the blue light that runs here and there in vrindavan be
forever the object of vision and goal"

> Nonetheless, if someone is particularly interested in going to vaikuNTha, a
> saMpradAyavid AchArya is likely to advise him/her to concentrate on
> saguNopAsana and not bother with the j~nAna mArga.

 I am aware of that but it is difficult. Adi Sankara, as Sri Subrahmanian
pointed out, transported his mother to Sri Vaikuntham. She rejected jivan
mukti and kailasha prapti as not fit for her. This is akin to prappatti. I
wanted to know if there is a valid Vedic ritual for saranagati.