[Advaita-l] Madhusudhana Saraswathi and Shankara.

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 00:11:14 CST 2012

pranams.
I am following with interest the discussion on the above topic.There are many isues which have to be settled before we come to a definite conclusion.Madhusudhana Sarasawathi who is a much later vedantin finds mention in some circles,particularly in the Vishhistadwaita circles.They seem to derive support from Madhusudhana saraswathi's books to support their Bhakthi concept,which they place above Jnana.Even Rajaji in his introduction to M.S's "Bhaja Govindam" says that Jnana must end in Bhakthi,despite what Shankara states on the contrary.Much debate has been generated on this view.But, the question is what is the place of Shankara after Madhusudhana Saraswathi's books,which is said to be on Adwaita Vedanta.it is said that much controversy was generated after Madhusudhana Saraswathi wrote his books like Gudartha deepika,Adwaita siddhi etc.but,it was Vijnana Bhikshu who set it right.This again introduces a doubt,who's Advaita concept is the right one.We
 cannot decide which is right whether pure Advaita or Advaita with Bhakthi of the Madhusudhana saraswathi brand.This type of discussion places Advaita in a more hazy light.Similar controversy is with the Karma performance even after Sureshwaracharya wrote his "Naishkarmya siddhi".Many theories emerged in the Advaita history.Whether one has to come to Jnana kandha after the performance of the Karma kandha,for which this one "janma'is not enough.Then what will happen to Shankara's as well as Sureshwara's categorical statement that only Jnana can yield mukthi.
N.Srikanta.