[Advaita-l] Madhusudhana Saraswathi and Advaita.

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue Feb 28 01:51:08 CST 2012

Namaste Rajaramji,

////////

Karma = Manogati (level 1)
Sadhana Bhakti = Manogati (Level 2)
Upasana = Manogati (Level 3)
Sthayi Bhava Bhakti = Manovrtti (Level 4)
Siddha Upasana = Manovrtti (Level 4)
Para Bhakti (Realization of Gopalaham) = jnana (Level 5)

Manogati is flow of mind whereas Manovrtti is permanent modification. It is
like temporary and permanent tattoo on the body.

///

The process of transformation from siddha upasana to para bhakti is a
complex phenomena.

We can't say that at one go, the siddha upasana matures into para bhakti aka jnana.

The brahmachari who practiced samvarga vidya identified himself with upAsya devata.
But still, had the traces of ego and was not a full-blown jnani.  So, upAsana is kartru-tantra and the end result depends upon your bhAvana.

Whereas, brahma-jnAna is vastu-tantra which is independant of upAsakA's bhAvana
and it exists, as it is.  The only thing one has to do is to uncover the viel of ignorance.

Hence, the process of transformation from Level 4 to Level 5 should involve shravaNa, manana & nidhidhyAsana without which the upAsaka would not achieve jnAna niSTa.
Here, the chitta-shuddhi acquired through upAsana adds as a catalysis to the mumukSu
who pursues jnAna-mArga.  So far, he identified himself with the deity having names & forms.  Whereas, with the vedanta chintana, having equipped with chitta shuddhi, undergoes shravaNa and meditates on his chosen deity as formless, nameless (a-sthUla, ananga, nirvikAra etc.).  Slowly, the viel of ignorance gets uncovered.

So, IMHO, upAsaka, even though identifies himself with his chosen deity, becomes an
uttama adhikAri who shines with viveka & vairAgya.  But mahAvAkya anusandhAna is required to become jivanmukta and hence the shruti vAkya "jnAnAdEva tu kaivalyaM".

Just my 2 cents.  I stand corrected, if any.

regs,
sriram