[Advaita-l] Advaiti Response to this report?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:31:02 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Namaste
> With this point I am replying to above and also now replying to your
> other important point- if a thing is existing in the middle but not
> before and after it is not existing any time. These two points are
> replied in this way by Ramanuja and his followers. Why do you say a
> pot is not existing before it is created? We don't agree. There is no
> absolute nonexistence for any thing. If you say Pot was not existing
> before we say it was existing as Clay. This is Satkaryavada. The
> Effect Pot is Existing in Cause Clay. It is accepted by Advaitis also.
> If you say Pot is destroyed some time and it is again non existing. We
> say no. Even when it is destroyed it is existing as Clay. There is no
> time when Pot did not exist. This same is true for World also. The
> Brahman is Upadana Cause. The World is Effect. The World is always
> Existing. First it is in Brahman then it is created and when it is
> destroyed also it is Brahman only. In this argument there is no need
> for Mithyatva any where. Why assume Mithyatva if we can explain it
> like this?

It does not take much time and effort for the Advaitin to reply to the
above:

In Vedanta satkAryavAda though the effect, before manifesting, is held to
be in the cause AS the cause, still even at that state it is mithyA only as
it remains non-different from the cause.  This is the same with the
post-destruction state too.  कालत्रय्ऽपि कार्यं कारणादनन्यतया एव वर्तते .
At all the three periods the effect can never be separately shown from the
cause.  Just as we say the effect is nothing but a name/word in the
manifest state so too the effect even in the pre-manifestation state is
only a word/name.

This applies to the world as well.

 subrahmanian.v

> p.s. I am thankful to Vidwan Shri Kutumba Sastry who presented a paper at
Tumkur on 'satkAryavAda'.  He neatly presented the idea that 'whether
before manifestation or after, the effect is mithyA alone.'