[Advaita-l] The point of discussions

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jan 18 00:17:25 CST 2012

[was Re: [Advaita-l] Advaiti Response to this report?]

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:

>> Rajaram: For that one should understand that one is a beginner which
>> members of academia and other schools dont.

You are painting a whole lot of people with a very broad brush.  Some do,
some don't.  Now in this case the the thread has reached 60+ messages.  If
one has not yet gotten the message, what makes you think another 60 will
do the trick?  It's a signal a different tack has to be taken don't you
think?

>> I too thought I understood
>> advaitam. Thanks to the patient clarifications by the members on this list
>> online and offline (Sri Subrahamian and Sri Devanathan), I understood I
>> dont. Now, I got a structured learning path from Sri Mani Dravid
>> Sastrigal. The purpose of the list to help people learn advaitam and any
>> action should aim to achieve that. I dont see how stopping a discussion
>> will.

Sure if clarification is needed it will be given.  I am not suggesting we
shut down any criticism of Advaita altogether.  However, one has to keep
in mind what the goal of vada is supposed to be.  Advaita Vedanta has a
definite structure and dogma yes.  Too often this is forgotten or
foolishly ignored.  But at the same time it cannot be ignored that the
final goal of this shastra is to jettison all that.  The purpose of
arguments internal and with external opponents is to aid in an inner
transformation that leads to jnana.  If this is not happening then it only
futile sophistry and I for one have more pressing demands on my time.