[Advaita-l] Saurashtra

vadhula at yahoo.com vadhula at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 07:25:48 CST 2012

Sourashtrian Brahmins of TN perform upanayana, etc and have similar gotras. Many have Iyer and Iyengar surnames. Some are purohits and are veg. But many are non-veg. An anomaly is that are silk weavers. IMHO, many jaathis in South India that are weavers that belong to Vaishya or Shudra varna. Their language also has adopted words from Marathi,Telugu,and Tamil. Muslim invasion of Gujarat may caused migration down South.
Ravi Chandrasekhara

Sent from my iPhone