[Advaita-l] Why is jagat mithya?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:57:11 CST 2012

Namaste

Some questions.

What is the focus of Sruti? Brahman or non Brahman? In Advaita books
the focus is more on non Brahman and showing it is Mithya. Why not
focus on Brahman because it is the One and Only Sat? Because it is
Nirguna it is difficult to focus on it. It is easier to say what is
not Brahman. Yato Vaco Nivartante Sruti is prohibiting from describing
Brahman.  Is this correct reason?  We negate everything and what is
left is  Brahman. Some people are afraid of this because they feel it
is like Sunya.

There could be another way. We can say Brahman is there in everything.
Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma. This is a positive way. What is difficult in
this? We can do Brahman Upasana in everything. But you can say we
cannot do Upasana like that because Brahman is Nirguna. Then do
Upasana of Saguna Brahman in everything first.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> [was: Re: [Advaita-l] The point of discussions]
>

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Bhaskar YR wrote:
>
>> Yes, I too surprised to see Sri Vidya prabhuji's sudden decision on this
>> issue.
>

> 60+ messages is hardly sudden.
>
>> But oflate, I could see some point in Sri Venkatesh prabhuji's argument.
>> Basically he is asking us, when we say brahman is the abhinnanimittOpadAna
>> kAraNa of this jagat and shruti says there is nothing 'apart' from brahman
>> (sarvaM khalvidaM brahma)why we should say jagat (nAma rUpa)  is mithya??
>> Can we answer his queries keeping this point of view in mind??
>>

> Well Shruti does not say only that in fact it talks about a lot of things
> which appear not to be Brahman.  How can we talk about non-Brahman?  Why
> does it seem that the knowledge that we find via pratyaksha pramana
> indicates non-Brahman?
>

> --

-Venkatesh