[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 08:40:31 CST 2012

Namaste

The problem is like this. A small boy is playing round marbles on the
ground having ups and downs. For that reason the marbles are not
moving in straight lines but curves. A man is standing on a tall tower
trying to explain the marble motion. He is saying there is this force
and that force pulling the marbles to one side and another side. A
very complicated explanation. But there is another man standing near
the boy and he can explain the marble motion very easily without using
any force at all. It is the nature of the ground making the marbles go
in curves. When we have a complicated theory and a simple explanation
the simple explanation is preferred but not the complicated. There is
no force.

Like this no Maya force is necessary to explain the world. The
appearance of the Dvaita Prapancha is because we are seeing only the
reflection but not the real object Brahman. If we see Brahman we will
know the Dvaita Prapancha is only a reflection.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:54 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda
<kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Shree Rajaram - PraNAms
>
> With due respects, Shri Balasubramanian has not recognized that his own existence and the words he stated cannot be explained without maaya. Maya is a force that makes one to appear as many. any change of state requires a force and forces has locus - this the fundamental law of physics. It is like stating I do not need gravitational force to explain apple falling down. For one to become many there has to be a driving force. Maaya in vedanta comes since all pervading consciousness is appearing as inert entities - which is impossible on a realistic scale. Hence maaya is defined as aghaTita ghaTanaa paTiiyasii - that which makes impossible possible.
>
> Hari Om!
> Sadananda
>

> --- On Wed, 1/25/12, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Rajaram:  Shri R. Balasubramanian has also stated that the concept of Maya
>> is not required as stated at the start of the thread.

-Venkatesh