[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 10:51:32 CST 2012

Namaste

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> You just don't seem to get it. mAyAvAda is nothing more than pointing to
> people that they are like children, playing and having fun in dirty water.
> It is like the parent telling the child that at some point, it is necessary to
> get out of the dirt and get cleaned up. You are blaming the messenger
> for the content of the message, a classic misdirection.
Another example. Mayavada is saying avoid the water because it is
dirty to the thirsty man. Brahmavada is saying the water may be
looking like dirty water. Don't avoid it but purify it and drink it.
The dirty water has pure water as the base. Get the base. Here in
India we are always using water purifiers at home and drink it. If you
say give up the water people will die of thirst.

> Moreover, you claim that the mature people are supposed to teach, "the
> pot is brahman," "the clayis brahman" etc. It stands to reason then, that
> they should teach the child, "the water is brahman," "the dirt in the water
> is also brahman". So, why bother about cleaning up at all?!!
>
> Vidyasankar
If you have faith you can say the mantra 'Aushadhi Jahnavi Toyam
Vaidyo Narayano Harihi' and drink it. Nothing will happen. Many
stories are there. The enemies of a King put poison in Teertha Prasada
in a temple. But the King had great faith and he accepted as God's
Prasada. The poison did not harm him.

-Venkatesh