[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 18:25:22 CDT 2012

Dear friends,

In connection with the Apaurusheyatva if the Vedic hymns please have look at the following verse from Rig Veda :

कामस्तदग्रे समवर्तताधि मनसो रेतः परथमं यदासीत |
सतो बन्धुमसति निरविन्दन हर्दि परतीष्याकवयो मनीषा || (RV;: 10.129.4)

Thereafter rose Desire in the beginning, Desire, the primal seed and germ of Spirit.
Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent. (Ralph T.H. Griffith, [1896])

It says how the Vedic hymns came about or appeared. The ancient sages
had the desire in their hearts to know about the relation of the
existent with the non-existent and during their search (ie.,in their thought process they
discovered the (various) relations of the existent with the non-existent. So the
sages discovered the great truths and not invented anything and hence the Vedas are aparusheya.

Regards,
Sunil KB