[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 04:34:41 CDT 2012

The whole problem comes because we assume that rishis are historical personalities and the mantra revealed by them did not exist before their time. This is not the Mimamsa position as far as I understand their terse logic. According to their logic, the mantras are eternal and passed down through oral tradition. The names of rishis mentioned are common nouns. The historical persons are proper nouns and they get the name because of interpreting them.

I will leave it to Sri Vidyasankar as he  seems to think that the mantras were unknown before the rishis revealed them.