[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:37:21 CDT 2012

The Peruvian man argument is weak or I'd have accepted it as I know that in time truth will win over the cleverest arguments. According to traditional vaidhika view, as you know better than I do, there are four classes of men created at the dawn of each cycle. They had varnashrama dharma laid out through the Vedas revealed in its entirety to Lord Brahma. The pravrtti and nivrtti margas were made available to them through marichi, sanat kumaras etc. Over time, the knowledge of dharma was gradually lost due to rise of desires. As a result, we have class of people who went outside varnashrama dharma. A (peruvian) person takes birth in a land or family that does not teach him dharma as a result of his past karma just as a person takes birth in the family of great yogis, brahmanas or righteous kshatriyas due to his good karma. There is no human culture that is devoid of a notion of god. A person, born though he may be of a sinful womb, has the path of devotion or surrender open to him. This is rightly stated by Krishna and acharyas of all vaidhika tradition. Sringeri Acharya, without becoming anxious for the spiritual fate of Christian who wanted to convert to Hinduism, sends  him back to elders in his own sect. A sincere person will find guidance to reach the absolute anywhere. Even smrti talks about Vrtasura, Prahalada, Vidura, Sabari, Guha, Gajendra etc.

At an office lunch, I placed tuna sandwich on my plate without asking thinking it is fruit sandwich. When I was about to eat, someone pointed out. But as I ate out of the non-veg plate, which could have been avoided if I had paid attention and asked upfront, I took some pizza offered to Krishna at the local ISKCON temple and also gave it on my way home to a musician who plays in London Underground station. He asked, "Is it vegetarian? I am a Siva bhakta and a saiva in eating habits!"

If there are untenable views held by mimamsakas please point out. It will be a good learning.