[Advaita-l] ekapatnivrata

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jul 12 10:19:42 CDT 2012

[Was Re: [Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??]

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, rajaramvenk at gmail.com wrote:

> It is another to talk about any hint of suspiction (sic ...
> ) about Sita consorting with another. Rama did not.  Even the dhobhi did
> not charge Her with that. Please offer evidence from smrti or withdraw
> this comment with unreservedly.

I don't have a copy of Ramayana handy at the moment but here is
what the dhobhi said to his wife in Bhagavata 9.11.9 (and note he is
directly comparing their relationship to Sita-Rama.)

nAhaM bibharmi tvAM duSTAM asatIM paraveshmagAm |
straiNo hi bibhR^iyAt sItAM rAmo nAhaM bhaje punaH ||

If you want to translate paraveshagAm as something other than "consorting"
thats fine.  The point was about monogamy or the lack of it.