[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jul 13 05:01:51 CDT 2012

praNams
Hare Krishna

The investiture of the thread ceremony to the person contrary to
his Svadharma is like the Guru in this case the invigilator, giving
the 8th std paper to 10th std student and the student writing it well.

>  I'd like to see this in a different way, here guru who knows the
'extra' skill, shraddha, bhakti in his 10th std. pupil would not hesitate
to give him the XII std. paper.  Here the guru 'knows' what his shishya
capable of and accordingly initiate him.  His pUrvajanma saMskAra and
ofcourse 'prArabdha' of that shishya may also play an important role to
determine his new role.  The story of shishunALa shareefa, a poet & saint
from Karnataka comes to my mind, his guru, Sri gOvinda bhatta did not
hesitate to make his muslim shishya, a brAhmin.   Anyway, this should not
set as a precedence as against the existing rules and regulations of our
shAstra. But exceptional cases like this cannot be ruled out completely
because it has been done with a spirit of noble purpose by the teachers
who were ready to face the consequences.

Bhagavad Gita clearly explains about one's Svadharma. Gita furthers
says Paradharmo Bhaya vahaha, it means there is the possibility of
contrary results. There can be no exception granted to the Dharma
Shastra. Shastra means the Veda, vedangas and includes the smritis.

>  Yes, there is nothing that can supersede the ultimate pramANa i.e.
shAstra, but you can see the exceptions in mahAbhArata itself!! for
example, vidhura, a dAsi pUtra, shUdra supposed to be a servant, was an
advisor to the royal council which was full of brAhmaNa, kshatriya etc.
Here again, pUrva janma saMskAra and sAdhana makes him a jnAni and could
sit on par with other superiors.

   The crux of Coimbatore speech is that the Jagadguru is being asked
by various people to write a new Dharma Shastra for which Jagadguru
replies that he cannot rewrite the Dharma Shastras.

>  but instead to asking Mr. Paul Brunton to go back to his country and
follow his 'svadharma', H.H. asked him to meet ramaNa maharshi why??  The
answer lies in the personal interaction between a jnAni and sAdhaka and
that guru knows what would be the 'samskAra' of that sAdhaka & his
eligibility.

>  while on the subject, I would like to say, our list member Sri
Shivashankara prabhuji (erstwhile Mr. Stig Lundgren) can be considered as
an exceptional case considering his shraddha, bhakti in hindu culture &
rituals.  And if I remembered right, I had met one of his friends Mr.
Martin (??, who accompanied him to India tour, whom I met with Sri
shivashankara prabhuji) has been initiated by Sri Rangapriya swamiji, a
shAstra vetta in Sri vaishNava saMpradAya and taught him the hayagreeva
upAsana.  Sri shiva shankara prabhuji would give more details.  Again,
another case of exception, unhesitatingly done by the saMpradAyavida!!

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar