[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:19:10 CDT 2012

> What if a"Guru" allows and calls these exceptions:
>
> 1.Marriage between a sanyasi and sanyasini.

By definition, a competent guru who knows sampradAya will not allow this.

> 2.A Braahmana Grihasta to give up yagnopaveeta.

Only on the day the said gRhastha is ready for saMnyAsa dIkshA. There is a
rule that allows a gRhastha to become a saMnyAsI directly, bypassing the
vAnaprastha stage. This is the jAbAlopanishat that is quoted frequently by
Sankara bhagavatpAda - brahmacaryAd vA gRhad vA vanAd vA ... yad ahar
eva virajet tad ahar eva pravrajet. Again, such a gRhastha would be a case
of an exception from the general rule and he will have to discard yajnopavIta
on the day he takes saMnyAsa. If he is mentally attached to it, then he is not
ready for saMnyAsa. A brAhmaNa gRhastha who is not mentally attached to
the thread, but who feels other gRhastha responsibilities that stand in the
way of his complete renunciation, will wear the yajnopavIta out of respect
for svadharma. No true sampradAya guru will tell him that it is okay to give
up the yajnopavIta alone, while not being ready for total saMnyAsa for other
reasons.

> 3.A person in a Hindu jaathi  that is vegetarian to eat beef.

Again, by definition, no competent guru is going to sanction this and call it
an exception.

> 4.Homosexual marriage.

This is a googly! I wonder if this is an important issue at all in the first place.
Even in the US, where I live and where it is a politically hot topic, I think the
importance of this issue is blown way out of proportion in public discourse.

I doubt if a leader in any dhArmika sampradAya has had to encounter a situation
of gay marriage and to offer his opinion/advice about it. There would be very
little dharmaSAstra basis for an opinion about homosexuality to begin with,
whether to prohibit it like Abrahamic religions or to allow/countenance it. To my
knowledge, there is no textual citation about it, unlike the Deuteronomy line
cited by the Christian right wing in the USA.

On the other hand, the vaidika vivAha mantra-s are clearly meant for a union
of a man with a woman. The kind of religious ceremony that validates such
a marriage is clearly impossible for a homosexual couple.

Vidyasankar