[Advaita-l] Aparna Name of Parvati

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:29:39 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Venkata sriram P
<venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>wrote:

> Namaste,
> Apart from the explanation what you have mentioned, couple of
> other explanations were suggested by Shri Bhaskararaya and Shri Kalyananda
> Bharati Mantacharya.
> 1.  apagataM ruNaM yasyAssA taduktaM asmAbhiH dEvIstavE
> "ruNamiSTamadattvaivatvannAma japatO mama, shivE kathaM aparNEti
> rUDirbhArAya na tE".
> Here, parNa implies riNa (debt). So, a-parNa implies in whom there are no
> debts. Since, dEvi doesn't have any debts with Her, she also removes those
> in Her upAsakAsby removing riNa-trayAs ie., 3 forms of debts (dEva, pitru &
> rishi).

Thanks Sriram ji for the quotes.  I have a question here.  Is it that
'parNa' imples RNa?  I would parse the samAsa as:apa RNA, apagatam rNam
yasyAH sA aparNA:  One from whom the RNa has departed.  In other words She
has no RNa to discharge/fulfill.  Maybe someone can comment on this.

Regards
subrahmanian.v