[Advaita-l] Is Amarnath cave mentioned in Puranas?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 22:16:36 CDT 2012

Namaste Sri Sriram

Dhanyavada. In the serial they are showing Parvati is doing Tapas in
Amarnath cave in front of ice Linga. But I think Amarnath cave is only
recently known. Is there any reference for Amarnath cave in Puranas
like Siva Purana and Linga Purana.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Venkata sriram P
<venkatasriramp at yahoo.in> wrote:
> Namaste,
> Apart from the explanation what you have mentioned, couple of other explanations were suggested by Shri Bhaskararaya and Shri Kalyananda Bharati Mantacharya.
> 1.  apagataM ruNaM yasyAssA taduktaM asmAbhiH dEvIstavE "ruNamiSTamadattvaivatvannAma japatO mama, shivE kathaM aparNEti rUDirbhArAya na tE".
> Here, parNa implies riNa (debt). So, a-parNa implies in whom there are no debts. Since, dEvi doesn't have any debts with Her, she also removes those in Her upAsakAsby removing riNa-trayAs ie., 3 forms of debts (dEva, pitru & rishi).
> 2. parNa also means downfall or chyuti. So, a-parNa implies that state in whom there isno downfall (ref: achyutaH in viSNu saha.).
> 3. "a" kAra is brahmavAchaka and parNa implies vAhana. So, a-parNa implies brahmavAhana.  In order words, upAdhi of brahma.
> Hope it is clear now.
> regs,sriram

-Venkatesh