[Advaita-l] Purusha and Stree

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:33:10 CDT 2012

Namaste Sri Subrahmanian

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM, V Subrahmanian
<v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Upanishad says: naiva stree na pumAn eShaH naiva chAyam napumsakaH...
>
> The Supreme is neither male nor female or even a mix.  Genders are only an
> adhyAsa and have no absolute reality.  Pure Consciousness alone is the
> Truth which pervades every being in creation.
>
> subrahmanian.v

I agree Pure Consciousness is Truth but it is like Neuter Gender. It
cannot give birth to the World. It becomes Male and Female as Ishwara
and Maya Prakruti and the two give birth to everything the world. That
is why everything in the World has the Male and Female mixed up in it.

Sri Bhaskar has quoted-
And svetashvata says tvaM stree, tvaM pumAmsi etc. strange are the ways of
shrutimAta to convey the one without second reality :-))

I was explaining the same thing. Everything in world both men and
women have Maleness and Femaleness in them. The Male is Ishwara in the
heart. The Female is the Sarira the body. This body is nothing but
Female Maya Prakruti only because it is made up of Pancha Bhutas. The
Pancha Bhutas are all Maya only.

The Geetacharya has said- Ishvarah Sarva-bhutanam Hrid-deshe ’rjuna
tishthati: (Bhagavad-gita 18.61)

>From this the Vaishnava position is rejected. Because he is neglecting
the Ishwara in the heart and saying all of us are Strees only. Even
though our body is dependent on others the Ishwara in the heart is not
dependent. That Ishwara is in everybody.   Both men and women.

-Venkatesh