[Advaita-l] Cotard Syndrome and Brahman Realisation

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:16:41 CDT 2012

On Sunday, June 10, 2012, Sudhakar Kabra wrote:

> Sukshma sarira does not function normally in absence of sthula sarira
> because the instruments of bhoga are not present. You may equate it with a
> state of something like dream where organs of action are not available.

RV: The entire set of karmas done after a person dies are on the belief or
knowledge that sukshuma sarira functions normally including distinguishing
between salted and unwanted food. It just loses its control to act on the
sthula sarira any more.

> > It even carries memories from one life to another.
> Memories are not carried from one life to another normally.We start with a
> clean slate. It is a rare/ abnormal phenomena of memories of past lives
> being remembered.

RV: Yes. It is the ability to carry memories which shows that memory is not
an outcome of brain function. It    is an essential attribute of the mind.
The ability carry memory in out of body experiences is also an argument in
favour of sthula sarira being fully functional.

> Sakshi sees even better because it sees a bigger picture. I repeat
> indriyas are not required for sakshi to see because it sees by its own
> light.

RV: We both agree that sakshi knows though we differ on whether he sees,
hears etc. What is important is how does a Jnani see his (mal)functioning
mind?