[Advaita-l] Question on Bodhayana and Upavarsha Vruttis of Brahma Sutras

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:53:53 CDT 2012

Namaste

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nevertheless, the sphoTa vAda of bhartRhari is rejected by Sankara in
> the brahmasUtra bhAshya. vAkyapadIya is a work on grammar and its
> author, bhartRhari, should not be confusd with bhartRprapanca, a pre-
> Sankaran vedAntin who held a jnAna-karma-samuccaya view and who
> has been refuted by Sankara and sureSvara.
The accurate name for Bhartruhari's Philosophy is Sabda Advaita. It is
a kind of Advaita only. We have to conclude he belongs to Advaitis
family only.
Sabda Dhatu Samiksha is without any doubt Bhartruhari's work. In that
there is a Karika. This Karika is referenced in the Nayana Prasidini
Vyakhyana -

Suddha Tattvam Prapanchasya Na Heturanivruttitaha |
Jnanajneyadirupasya Mayaiva Janani Tataha   ||

In this Karika the important Maya is the Mother cause of the World
with things which are Known and we have Knowledge. But the Suddha
Tattva is not the Cause.

We can see Bhatruhari is talking the language of Advaitis. In another
place in Vakya Padiya also he talking the same language.

Satyam Vastu Tadakarair Asatyairavadharyate |
Asatyopadhibhihi Sabdaihi Satyamevabhidhiyate || VP 1-20

In this he is using the Advaiti word Upadhi. He is saying Satya Vastu
is signified by Asatya Upadhis the Sabdas.

> The vivarta of Sabda-brahman, as delineated in vAkyapadIya, is also not
> the same as the vivartavAda of advaita vedAnta.

How? Kindly explain.

> Vidyasankar

-Venkatesh