[Advaita-l] Sastra's Ability To Remove Ignorance

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 10:13:13 CDT 2012

In the case of schools that accept reality of this and the world of gods, sastra's ability to remove ignorance is its ability to bring to light what is super-sensuous such as unseen results of dharma, qualties of god etc. In the case of advaitam, sastras teach about brahman through negation. But to negate something as not brahman, the (speaker of) sastras first need to have a positive knowledge of brahman. If I should say that a clay pot does not shine, I should first know what a clay pot looks like. How is this possible with respect to brahman?