[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 11:01:33 CDT 2012

Pranams Shri Subbuji and others following this thread.

A brief response.

Following this line of thinking we have to conclude that our SaptaRishis were barely done brushing their gorilla ape hair off their bodies when they received their revelations and we, with brains far more evolved than theirs have to take such revelations as pramana? And extending this further, in a hundred thousand years, with monstrous foreheads to accomondate their now enlarged prefrontal lobes, will our descendants now receive far better revelations of unauthored nature to guide Dharma?

I really think it is unwarranted to try and accomodate Vedic truths into the framework of evolutionary theory - not because of the reason that such an accomodation is impossible, which it is, but because such a evolutionary theory is mere flight of fancy and not anything that is established on factual basis.

If you hear a melodious song, and asked me who is the composer, and I told you that different random sounds, gradually  evolved from rudimentary notes, into more complex arrangements, and finally over many many centuries, manifested forth as this composition that you now hear, you would very likely advice me urgent psychiatric help. And yet there are many thinking individuals who, in the name of scientific thinking, freely consume of the abiogenesis/evolution Koolaid.

What is readily evident is that human clairvoyance has only deteriorated, severely at that, from the time of Vyasa, and in more recent history, Gaudapada and Sankara to our own modern times, and that Dharma as the Veda/Itihasas themselves express and predict, only deteriorates with the passage of time yugA upon yugA.

May I humbly suggest that we are better off understanding scripture with a standpoint of faith, and approaching Science with a healthy scientific spirit of skepticism and rigor, instead of using logic to accomodate an understanding of Scripture that is line with the current status of Science's ignorance. By its very definition Veda pertains only to that which is outside the purview of pratyaksha and Science by its very defintion deals with that which is only in the realm of pratyaksha.

Hari OM

Shyam