[Advaita-l] Ishwara Turiya?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 07:19:36 CST 2012

On Friday, March 9, 2012, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> questions/observations will find answers/solutions in the anAdi-context.
> And as I pointed out earlier all these remain, continue for ever for
> samsaris and for Jnani's the entire hexad is realized to be mithyA.
Since
> TuriyA is something that has no connection with any of these six, even
> Ishwara who is within this hexad, does not come to be recognized as
> Turiya.  'prapanchopashamam' of the seventh mantra of the Mandukya is one
> word that is enough to negate all the six from Turiya.

As far as I can see, it only describes Turiya. In fact, Gaudapada
specifically non-negates Ishwara in his karika by saying, "Turiya, the
changeless Ruler, is capable of destroying all miseries".

I had posed two specific questions that challenge the position Ishwara is
not Turiya. One, why would Sankara, expert with words and a great teacher,
say explicitly is BSB that "Ishwara is Turiya". Two, what is the state of
Ishwara, who is beyond Hiranyagarbha? As He is without mind, He can't be in
deep sleep, dreaming or wakeful states.