[Advaita-l] Nitya Karma Question

Ramamurthy Venkateswaran r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 01:40:26 CDT 2012

Hare Krishna! I have heard seniors advising that the Nitya Karma has to be performed, as it is a karma.  There are prescriptions for doing the Nitya Karma.  Of late, I have been noticing with regret that many parents consider it as their duty to perform upanayanam, but not ensure that their wards perform the Nitya Karma, let alone the Kartha doing it.  The Pandits don't take initiative to ensure that the wards are taught the Nitya Karma at least for a minimum of three days and the rest taken care by the Kartha or other elders who could spare time.   Prayascitta is for events committed unknowingly and not consciously.  Therefore one performing prayascitta for conscious deeds could be condoned or considered is altogether another domain. Many persons I have seen even in a cold climate like Delhi, etc. perform their Nitya Karma (morning Sandhya, Madhyanam, Brahma Yagyam, etc. even before they leave their homes for office, etc. including their Poojas.  I myself have been reading the Suktas and Slokas while travelling from home to office and upon reaching office, have breakfast and resume work.   In the evenings, while one is away from home or a place where one could perform his Nitya Karma, the same is performed without the rituals, like arghya, etc.   There are certain Nitya Karmas whih have to be performed by the individual himself while some could be got done by Purohits by paying suitable Dakshina while the housewife or someone taking care of the nittygritty. I might be wrong but don't consider it as an affront to one's thinking or way of life.
Hare Krishna!

R. VENKATESWARAN

email: r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com