[Advaita-l] Women and Paramahamsa sannyasa

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com
Fri Mar 16 07:11:58 CDT 2012

I thank you for providing this information with links to original text. You
must have worked hard to type those verses. Thank you, again.
*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com/>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

2012/3/16 V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>

> In the cited Mahabharatha verses there is one verse which informs us that
> sulabhA was carrying the tridanDa (which she had temporarily laid away
> during the conversation with Janaka):
>
> छत्रादिषु विमुक्तस्य *मुक्तायाश्च त्रिदण्डके*॥ 12-320-19
>

> Though the practice of women taking up the paramahamsa sannyasa (with
> tridanDa) is not encountered today,

A wrong conception. That type of saMnyAsa which is marked by tridaNDa is
not called paramahaMsa-saMnyAsa at all. paramahaMsa saMnyAsa is marked by
either eka-daNDa or lack of daNDa.

> there is evidence in the smRti for such
> a practice having been in  vogue.

Without having vidhi-vAkyA-s to support saMnyAsa of women, it is not
correct to say that they are allowed by veda-s to do so. Any story which
has no base in vaidika-dharma-shAstra-s or is opposed to nyAya-s of
pUrva-mImAMsA is not acceptable.
Q: Is there any basis for saying that women can't take this saMnyAsa, which
is marked by tridaNDa and bhixA, etc. ?
A: Yes. saMnyAsa is meant mainly to shun karma-s and their tools, i.e.
shikhA, yaGYopavIta, etc. When there is no adhikAra of women in
karma(according to pUrva-mImAMsA and the popular belief), there can be no
talk of shunning karma. प्रसक्त एव निषिध्यते ।
Q: Do you mean that sulabhA was not a bhikshukI ?