[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 22:40:54 CDT 2012

Namaste

Reading your messages I have some doubts. According to Advaita Vedanta
of Adi Sankara -

Sankhya = Vedanta

OR

Sankhya = Sravana + Manana + Nididhyasana

What is correct?

Yoga = Sravana + Manana + Nididhyasana

OR

Yoga = Sravana + Manana + Nididhyasana + Yogic Practice like Asana,
Pranayama, Dharana, Dhyana and Samadhi

Which is correct?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> It is not as if Sankara bhagavatpAda accepts or rejects something because of a
> bias towards another way of thinking. Rather, it should become clear to you that
> what is generally known as sAMkhya and what is generally known as yoga are
> not exactly the same as what is meant in the SvetASvataropanishat. To think
> that the "direct" meaning of sAMkhya and yoga in the upanishat text is exactly
> the same as what is/was popularly understood by those two words is not right.
>
> Please read the following links to postings made by me to the list five years ago,
> called Yoga and Advaita Vedanta. Hopefully, you will get a better grasp of what
> Adi Sankara's perspective is. I also hope that you will read through all of them
> thoroughly, before asking questions or making comments.
>
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-September/017502.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-September/017515.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-September/017556.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017613.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017615.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017689.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017708.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017713.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017719.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017733.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-November/017872.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-December/017958.html
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2007-January/018003.html
>
> If I remember right, the link above from January 2007 is the last in the above
> series. I had intended to continue with a few more postings in that thread,
> but didn't, for various reasons.
>
> Vidyasankar
>

>> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:42:35 +0530
>> From: vmurthy36 at gmail.com
>> To: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
>> Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?
>>
>> Namaste
>>
>> But someone may object because the Svetashvatara Upanisad has directly
>> said Sankhya and Yoga can take you to Moksha. Adi Sankara will not
>> accept it because he is a Vedanti. He has to find some Vedantic
>> concepts and say Sankhya and Yoga are those Vedantic concepts only. He
>> is giving indirect meaning for Sankhya and Yoga when direct meaning is
>> available. Why?
>>
>> How can you answer this objection?

-Venkatesh