[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 09:48:47 CDT 2012

> 1)
> It will be very kind of you  if you can disclose this as to who are the people who compared Jayamangala with Tattvakaumudi. and where did they do that?

Pulinbihari Chakravarty, 1951, Origin and development of samkhya thought, Munshiram
Manoharlal Publishers; Ram Shankar Bhattacharya, Gerald Larson and Karl Potter, 1987,
Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies, vol. 4, just to name two books and their authors. If
you go to http://books.google.com and type in jayamangala, samkhya, sankara as search
terms, you will get a lot more.

> (2)
> Is there any reason why people did  not compare Jayamangala with Gaudapada's bhashya on Sankhyakarika?

See above two books and references therein. Scholars have indeed done the comparison.

> (3)
> Have you or any other scholar  cross-checked from the Rajavartika as to the veracity of the quote from that book (Rajavartika) in the Tattvakaumudi ?

How can veracity be ascertained when the said rAjavArttika is not available? What vAcaspati
miSra quotes is not from bhoja's vArttika on yogasUtrabhAshya. At most, all we can say is
that a book that was available to vAcaspati miSra has not survived through time. Do you find
any reason to doubt the idea that vAcaspati miSra did have access to such a text?

Regards,
Vidyasankar