[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 23:30:32 CDT 2012

Namaste

If Yoga is necessary for Advaita Sadhana next questions -

A Do we have to do Asanas like inverted poses like Sarvangasana and
Pranayama OR simple Asanas and simple alternate nostril breathing will
do? Yoga people say the Inverted Poses will increase blood flow to
brain and help to increase intelligence.

B Some Yoga teachers like Baba Ramdev are teaching breathing exercises
like Kapala Bhati and Anuloma Viloma Pranayama. These are necessary
for Advaita?

C What is the list of Asanas and breathing exercises for Advaita Marga?

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I composed and sent a lengthy answer to this point by point, but it seems
> to have got lost in internet limbo as I lost my connection, so here is a short
> summary answer.
>

> This is the traditional stance. There are many today who teach that none of
> this is necessary from a sAdhana perspective and that all you have to do is to
> just let go and just be. I would simply say to those who are attracted to such
> a teacher, that they should try it and attempt to sit still, with no thought for
> where the next meal or cup of coffee is going to come from, and see if they
> succeed in really letting go. The mind that has not learned to control itself or
> that is at least not learning how to control itself has a way of instantly getting
> distracted and overpowering all its own good intentions to just let go and
> just be.

> Regards,
> Vidyasankar
>

>> Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 16:59:49 +0530
>> From: vmurthy36 at gmail.com
>> To: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
>> Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?
>>
>> Namaste Sri Vidyasankar
>>
>> One question about Yoga practice is bothering me very much. This is a
>> practical question about Asanas, Pranayama, breath control. Kindly
>> answer -

-Venkatesh