[Advaita-l] : Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 11:51:47 CDT 2012

Namaste Venkateshji,

Oh I see that you are referring toAbhinava Vidya Teertha Swamiji but not Adi Sankara.

As regards Adi Sankara's knowing Vajroli, it is mentioned in Madhava-Vidyaranya's Sankata digvijaya. When Ubhaya Bharati  questioned the purna-jnani status of Sankara as he lacked the knowledge of Kusumastra-shastra (the art and science of sensual desire), the latter decided to enter the dead body of king Amaruka and assured his disciples that he would not lose his continence as knew Vajroli. It is also said that Padmapada had to rescue his guru at the right time like Gorakhnath had to save his guru Matsyendranath in a similar situation. This could be also the reason why some people think that following this exposure of Sankara to the Kusumastra-shastra he wrote a commentary called "Jayamangala" on the Kamasutra and also wrote another book on Tantra-shatra. However there are others, who think that the hagiographer MadhavaVidyaranya lived in the 15th century and that he could have written depending on hearsay or this episode of metempsycosis could be an
 interpolated one. Another reason could be that Abhinavagupta, who lived in the end of the 10th century and the beginning of the 11th century, mentioned Matsyaendranath as his guru. It was then impossible for Sankara's disciples to tell Sankara about a past feat of Matsyendranath. It seems history is playing a topsy-turvy game here.

Regards,
Sunil KB