[Advaita-l] ईशावास्यम्... 'IshAvAsyam'...

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 04:15:56 CST 2012

srIgurubhyo namaH

Here is  a short note on the first mantra of the Ishavasyopanishad. [This
note in its Sanskrit version is also appended below]

A portion of the bhashya is rendered here:

// He who is the supreme Ruler and supreme Self of all is the Lord.  For as
the indwelling soul  of all, He is the Self of all beings and as such rules
all.  (So) by that Lord, in His true form as the Self, should be covered.
What is to be covered? All this whatsoever on the earth.  All this is to be
covered by one's own Self, the Lord, through His supreme reality (present
in the realization): 'As the indwelling Self of all I am all this'; all
this that is unreal, whether moving or not moving, is to be covered by
one's own Supreme Self.  //

This expression of the bhashyam: ' to be covered by one's own Supreme Self'
could give one an impression that the Bhashyam is saying that 'all this
world is to be covered by the Supreme Self that is the Lord'.  That is, the
Lord should cover this entire world. To explain further, the Lord is the
one that  covers this entire world.

That such a thinking is not in line with the Bhashyam is being explained
below.

The bhashyam is not saying that the Lord is the one who 'covers'.  Nor is
it saying that the Lord is the covered.  On the other hand what it is
saying is: The world is to be covered 'with' the Lord.  This means: The
true knowledge pertaining to the Supreme Self, the Lord, is the one with
which the aspirant has to cover the world. So, it is this knowledge that
has to cover the world.  The bhashyam teaches that the Lord is the Self of
all and the aspirant is also within the 'all' and therefore his real Self
is also the Lord alone.  With this knowledge that 'I am all' the aspirant
has to look upon the world as none other than (his) Self.

What does 'covering' mean? It is nothing but seeing the world in its true
nature.  The knowledge pertaining to the Self of the world enables such a
knower to look upon the world as none other than the Self.  It is like
looking upon the illusory snake as none other than its substratum rope.
Here 'covering' does not mean concealing something from our view but
actually revealing the true nature of the thing.  The Upanishad is using
the metaphor of 'clothing' .  It is teaching that one has to 'clothe' the
world with the knowledge about its real nature.  In a physical object, when
it is clothed with a covering, the parts that are not visible are covered
by the clothing.  In the case of the world, however, the knowledge-clothing
renders the world of names and forms unreal while the substratum Brahman
alone forms the awareness.  Thus it could be said the Upanishad is asking
one to 'cover' the unreal aspect and thereby see that the real aspect is
revealed.  The Upanishad itself speaks of the fruit of such a vision:

6     The wise man beholds all beings in the Self and the Self in all
beings; for that reason he does not hate anyone.

7     To the seer, all things have verily become the Self: what delusion,
what sorrow, can there be for him who beholds that oneness?

And the Mundakopanishad too says:

2.2.11 That immortal Brahman alone is before, that Brahman is behind, that
Brahman is to the right and left. Brahman alone pervades everything above
and below; this universe is that Supreme Brahman alone.

To illustrate what is meant by 'covering/clothing' here are two devotional
songs:

*http://dinman.com/index.php?Itemid=34&id=20&option=com_content&task=view
*

*१. रंग दे चुनरिया ,रंग दे चुनरिया | श्याम पिया मोरी ,रंग दे चुनरिया ॥ *

*ऐसी रंग दे कि रंग नाहि छुटे | धोबिया धोये चाहे सारी उमरिया ॥ *

*लाल ना रंगाऊ मैं , हरी ना रंगाऊ | अपने ही रंग में रंग दे चुनरिया |
*

*बिना रंगाये मैं तो घर नाही जाऊंगी | बीत ही जाये चाहे ये सारी उमरिया ॥*

*गानश्रवणमत्र - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBO5UFyjqUs&feature=related*

*२.
http://ww.smashits.com/archana-bhajan-om-vyas/maine-mehndi-rachai/song-81252.html
*

*मैंने मेहन्दी रचायी कृष्ण नाम की, मैंने बिन्दिया सजायी कृष्ण नाम की ..*

subrahmanian.v

> सर्वानत्र सविनयं प्रणम्य ’ईशावास्यम्.’ इत्यत्र यदुक्तमद्वैतिमतानुसारं तदत्र

किञ्चिदुच्यते केवलं विशदीकरणरूपेण ।