[Advaita-l] Rgveda nitya devatArchana vidhi - Question for Rg-vedins

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:43:02 CDT 2012

 Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan wrote:
>> Rgveda mantras below are to be recited only after stating the Rishi,
>> devatA, Chandas, and Viniyoga. The numbers in the parentheses indicate
>> maNDala, sUkta, and mantra. For example, (10.90.1) stands for the
>> first mantra in the ninetieth sUkta of the tenth maNDala.
>>

> I have seen Rg vedins say the R^iShi, Chandas, etc. during recitation.
> If I understand right, you are saying these must be specified even
> when doing a pUjA?

Yes, the Rishi, devatA, Chandas, etc. are required while doing pUjA, and
for that matter even while doing other karmas, including homa. They are not
to be recited during apara karmas (such as shrAddha, etc.), as far as I
know.

> Also what's your opinion on the "Ahnika chandrika" for the Rg vedins
> published by phaNashIkara vAsudevasharmA?

Ahnika chandrikA is an authentic source, since it is based on earlier
works. The brahmakarmasamuccaya is a comprehensive and detailed manual,
where Ahnika AchAra prakaraNa is just one part. It also deals with
saMskAras, vratas, miscellaneous karmas, and aurdhvadehika karmas.

> Thanks again.

You are welcome.

> Rama

Anand