[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 12:58:08 CDT 2012

Namaste,

Since you brought up the name of Patanjali may I share a bit of  my thoughts on this. Patanjali was a great scholar and he is said to be an avatara of bhagavan Adisesa. Even his Mahabhasya is known as Phani bhasya, thus referring it to be a work of Adisesa. In Jivanmuktiviveka also we find reference to the Adisesa's Pancasiti (the verse 81 of Pancasiti, for example). Adi Sankaracharya's guru Govinda Bhagavadpada, was considered to be an avatara of Patanjali. This might indicate that Govindapada was good in what Patanjali taught. Patanjali's influence is very clear in Gaudapada's Mandukyakarika as well as in his Sankhyakarikabhashya. Such being the case Patanjali could be considered as the Adi-Advaitin, if we leave aside the the Advaitins of the Vedic age. Probably led by this influence of Patanjali the great advaitin Adi Sankaracharya wrote one bhashya on the  Sankhyakarika, another bhasya -Yogasutravivarana on the Yogasutra,  and yet another bhshya
 on the Svetasvatara upanishad.

The Advaitins seem to have forgotten these three bhashyas of Adi Sankaracharya. Not only that, I am surprised that in spite of all these evidences the Advaitins today seem to have also forgotten the Pancasiti (Aryapancasiti) of the adi-advaitin Patanjali. Come to think of it, even Abhinavagupta's Paramarthasara, which is the root-text of the Kashmiri Shaivism,  is just a copy of Aryapancasiti.I feel that it will help the Advaitin's greatly if they read the Aryapancasiti of Patanjali, along with the Sankara-bhashyas and the Gaudapada-bhashyas.

Regards,
Sunil KB