[Advaita-l] Duties of Son, and Son-In law

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 20:00:51 CDT 2012

Namaste

Parent in laws have to be treated with respect like all elders. There
is no rule for special treatment by son in law. First look after own
parents. Then other elders including in laws. A son in law has to
avoid going to in laws house without reason. It will reduce his
respect. I know one family the brother in laws are controlling the
whole life of the son in law.  In Vishnu Purana and others they have
said in Kali Yuga sons will not look after parents and become attached
to in laws. This is a Kali Yuga defect. We must avoid it. We must look
after our parents first and if time is there other elders.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM, shriharsha chatra <hschatra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pranam Swamiji,
>
> I have question with respect to duties of Son, and Son-in Law.
> The reason I am asking this question is, I will be marrying in few months,
> and due to grace of Acharya's and Guru's like you
> I wanted to know, what all duties Vedas or Smritis prescribe if Son-in-law
> to be done for his in-law.
> And who should be prioritized, his own parents or in-laws. If you can
> please list the reference from Veda's and Smritis I would be thankful.
>
> Sadar Pranama,
> Harsha

-Venkatesh