[Advaita-l] Brahma Sutra Bhashya

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 00:52:10 CDT 2012

Actually, I am trying to get a copy of this one particular translation (Apte) in an attempt to compare the translations of the bhashya on the chatussutri. It is published by Popular Book Depot. This is one of the seven English translations. I got the others (given below) in either a book form or as an ebook, but not this one. So, if anybody can help me get it, I would be most thankful. Kindly help.
Some known English translations of Sankara's bhashya are:

1. Banerjea, K. M., Rev., “The Brahma Sutras with the
Commentary of Sankaracharya, Translated into English”, Biblotheca Indica: A
Collection of Oriental Works, published by the Asiatic Society of Bengal, New
Series No. 214, Asiatic Soceity of Bengal, Calcutta, 1870.
2. Thibaut, George, “The Vedānta Sūtras with the Commentary
by Śaṅkarāchārya, Part I”, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1890.
3. Vireswarananda, Swami, “Brahma-sutras with Text,
Word-for-word Translation, English Rendering, Comments and Index”, Advaita
Ashrama, Mayavati, Almora, Himalayas, 1936.
4. Sivananda, Swami, “Brahma Sutras Part I”, The Sivananda
Publication League, Rishikesh, 1949.
5. Date, V. H., “Vedānta Explained: Śamkara's Commentary on
The Brahma-sūtras” Vol. One, Booksellers' Publishing Co., Bombay, 1954.
6. Apte, V. M.. “Brahma-Sutra Sankara-bhashya, Translated
into English”, Popular Book Depot, Bombay, 1960.
7. Gambhirananda, Swami “Brahma-sūtra-bhāṣya” of Sri  Śaṅkarāchārya”, 7thImpression,
Advaita Ashrama, 5, Delhi Entelly Road, Calcutta, 2000. (First edition, 1965).
There is one by Belvalkar, but he seems to have translated only the first and second padas of the second adhyaya, mainly for the benefit of University students. This was first published in 1938 and there was a 'third edition' (not a reprint) in 1988. If somebody knows whether Belvalkar also translated the first adhyaya, again I would be most thankful to know of the same.

There are a few other translations - which either have Sankara's text embedded within, or have only a small or large part of the bhashya translated, or have presented material mainly based on Sankara's bhashya but mixed with the translator's own interpretation as well and presented in a different order, which might be mentioned here:

1. Deussen, Paul (Authorised Translation by Charles
Johnston), “The System of the Vedānta According to Bādarāyaṇa's Brahma-sūtras
and  Śaṅkara's Commentary thereon set
forth as a Compendium of the Dogmatics of Brahmanism from the Standpoint
of  Śaṅkara”, The Open Court Publishing
Company, Chicago, 1912.
2. Barnett, L. D., “Brahma Knowledge: An Outline of the
Philosophy of the Vedānta as set forth by the Upanishads and by Śankara”, John
Murray, Albermarle Street (W), London, 1920.
3. Suryanarayana Sastri, S. S. And Kunhan Raja, C., Editors
and Translators: “The Bhāmatī of Vācaspati on Śaṅkara's Brahmasūtrabhāṣya
(Catussūtrī), Thesophial Publishing House, Madras, 1933.
4. Belvalkar, S. K., “The Brahma-sutras of Badarayana with
the Commentary of Sankaracharya, Chapter II, Quarters I & II, Edited in the
Original Sanskrit, with English Translation, Notes, Glossary of Technical
Terms, and Index”, 3rded., Bilvkunja Publishing House, Poona, 1938.
5. Suryanarayana Sastri, S. S. And Saileswar Sen, “The
Vivaraņaprameyasaṅgraha of Bhāratītīrtha: Translated into English”, Andhra
University Series No. 24, Sri Vidya Press, Kumbakonam, 1941.
6. Venkataramiah, D., “The Pancapadika of Padmapada
(Translated into English)”, Oriental Institute, Baroda, 1948.
7. Gopalasastry, Susurla, “The Psychology of Eternal
Illusion by Bhagavan Sankara with Exhaustive notes and explanations in popular
Telugu, English and Sanskrit”, Jnana-Lahari Series No. 4, The Maruti Printing
House, Amalapuram.
8. Radhakrishnan, S., “The Brahma Sūtra: The Philosophy of
Spiritual Life – Translated with an Introduction and Notes”, Rusking House,
George Allen & Unwin Ltd., Museum Street, London, 1960.
9. Sastri, P. S., Prof., “Panchapadika Vivaranam of
Prakasatma Yati (Rendered into English)”, Sadhana Grantha Mandali, Tenali,
1997.
All the above are available - either in print form or ebook form.

There is one English translation of Brahmsutra bhashya by S. Tattvabhushan, now sold by Cosmos (a rip-off publisher; O make sure to check before I buy books published by them) and MLBD. This was originally written in 1904 and named Ramamohanabhashya after Raja Ram Mohun Roy, who was the guru of Tattvabhushan. I bought this, but am yet to read it. The catussutri part is more like vritti - actually vrittis like BrahmAmritavarshiNI go further than Tattvabhushan's book. He is supposed to generally follow Sankara, but I did not really read the portions which would make that clearer.

Regards
N. Siva Senani