[Advaita-l] 'Chants in Cyberspace' स्वदेशो भुवनत्रयम्

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:25:32 CDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Sivakumar,Kollam <sivanr8010 at gmail.com>wrote:

> SAdara praNAm,
> Dear Sriramji,
> Is your suggestion not against the injunctions of sastra?

If you are saying 'doing certain karma-s without the AchArya is against the
injunctions of sastra' the reply is:

If one is able to perform them without mistakes then it is fine.  The
priest is required only to direct/guide the performance.  For example the
monthly amAvAsya tarpana ritual can be done by oneself if he knows the
procedures/mantras.  I have seen even the annual upAkarma ritual performed
by a priest for himself, without another AchArya.  Certain vrata-s like
Varalakshmi, Ganapathi, Anantapadmanabha, etc. can be performed by oneself
if he knows the procedures.  On certain occasions there is the 'upAyana
dAnam' which can be assigned and kept aside to be given to a learned person
later.  Even shrAddha can be performed by oneself if he knows the
procedures.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v