[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:22:43 CDT 2012

Namaste

I have 2 points. Is Citta Shuddhi necessary for Citta Vrutti Nirodha?
What is Yoga philosophy saying? Because the Yoga philosophy is aiming
for Citta Vrutti Nirodha. If Citta Shuddhi not necessary there cannot
be Advaita Jnana in Samadhi also. Advaita is saying Jnana comes from
Vedanta Vakyas only. It cannot be in some meditation experience. If
the Advaiti has Vedanta Vakya Jnana he can practice so many things
including Yoga. He can experience same Jnana in wallking, jogging and
others. Why he must go into Samadhi only?

Yoga is very good for health. I agree very much with this. But there
are many very good things for health like eating clean vegetarian
food, taking regular meals, walking and other things. These things are
helping us to become physically and mentally healthy. They are
indirectly helping in Sadhana. But we cannot say Jnana comes because
of them.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Samadhi is also experience of some person in Jagrat. Some people joke
>> to say Samadhi is Sushupti. But in both cases it will also have Ajnana
>> in it because all three Jagrat, Svapna and Sushupti are in Ajnana
>> only. How can Jnana come in Samadhi? Some people can take drugs and
>> have wonderful hallucinations. But it is also Ajnana only.
>>

> How can jnAna come in samAdhi, you ask? How indeed can jnAna come in
> any avasthA whatsoever? Please ponder over it before responding.
>
> Talking of yoga-nidrA does not mean samAdhi is the same as sushupti. If
> your understanding of samAdhi is to liken it to a drug induced hallucination,
> then I can only say you have a really long way to go before you even begin to
> talk about any Indian philosophy. I'm sure this sounds offensive, but I have no
> choice but to be sharp in my remarks here.
>
> Simply put, yoga is an integral and enormous component of almost all Indian
> knowledge systems and philosophies, no matter what the points of agreement
> and departure may be. There is yogAcAra buddhism; there is yoga in jaina
> thought; there is yoga even in the very text of the nyAyasUtra (yogAc ca
> adhyAtma vidhy upAyaiH - 4.2.46); and the brahma sUtra and the gItA talk
> of dhyAna and samAdhi in numerous places.
>
> The knee-jerk antipathy I sometimes see towards any and all mention of yoga
> practices and terminology is nothing short of colossal ignorance.
>
> Regards,
> Vidyasankar

-Venkatesh