[Advaita-l] Fw: [hc] Reinterpreting Dwaita versus Adwaita by sanjay rao

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:45:29 CDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> I understand that in the Chapter 22 of the "Mahabharata Taparya Nirnaya"
> Sri Madhvacharya  had tried to do character assassination of Adi
> Sankaracharya by calling the latter as a demon trying to misinterpret the
> shastras. Has any of our esteemed members seen the above Chaapter 22.
>
> Regards,
> Sunil KB

In the following link one can view/read a few pages from a Kannada book
titled 'shrI vidyAraNya viShayaka AkShepa nirAsa' authored by Sri
G.R.Patil, Dharwad.  He has excerpted a portion from a Kannada book
'MadhvAmRta mahArNava' Edited with Kannada rendering by Prof. Vyasanakere
PrabhanjanAchArya M.A. and published by Aitareya prakashana , vyAsanakere
PAjaka, No. 6, 14th Main, BSK Ist Stage, Bangalore 560 050.  The book
published in 1992 carries a note: 'This book is for the use of Vaishnavas'.

I am giving a few sample English translations from the excerpt:

verse 118:  Whoever says 'namaskar' by joining his palms to a Madhwa-hater
has to be punished by severing his arms and casting them into the ocean.

verse 164:
हत्वा त्ववैष्णवं विप्रं प्रायश्चित्तं न कारयेत् ।
तेन तुष्यति मध्वेशः प्रायश्चित्तं तु निष्फलम् ॥
[Upon killing a non-vaiShNava brahmin one need not perform any expiatory
rites (prAyashcitta).  By such a killing the Lord of Madhva will only be
pleased and therefore the expiatory rite will be useless.]

Sounds like 'jihad'?

verse 157/158:  If a Madhwa brahmin is defeated by an Advaitin in debate, a
noble and informed King (of that locality) should remain indifferent.  On
the other hand, if an Advaitin is defeated by a Madhva devotee, the former
should be punished by the King by tonsuring the head and banishing from the
kingdom.

Some more excerpts and other material in Kannada is available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?637dn2539qhd563

Having said this, I would like to add that there are many Madhwas of the
present generation who find all the above stuff of their 'classical Dvaita'
to be anathema.  They never subscribe to such views.  My intention in
presenting the above, which is in any case in the public domain, is only to
show that there are what can be called radicals and they try to keep their
fundamentalism alive (1992).  But wiser counsels prevail upon many modern
educated Madhwas and they abhor this kind of literature.

Regards
subrahmanian.v