[Advaita-l] Paranormal Experiences

vijay kartik vijaykartik_2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 3 02:13:16 CDT 2013

I would fully discount all such narrations which are not in the publications supported or blessed by the respective institutions.
Many members would have noted the numerous "spiritual" journals that the many media houses (esp. Tamil ) have started in the last decade. Just to give spice and sensationalism to the concerned devotee group, these journals keep pouring out fanciful accounts of episodes supposed to have really taken place.
To add credibility, some of these are supposedly authored by persons who were close to the guru concerned. It is quite amusing to read these stories which are typically written in highly dramatic style , racier narrations than even suspense novels, building up the tempo and fervour step by step and never ends without a grand finish.
The main aim of these narrations is to deliver an interesting episode week after week and keep the interested devotees waiting for the next issue.

The funnier part is these stories also become authentic inputs for the numerous blog sites and internet forums for the devotees who unwittingly forward and re-forward to all possible places.

I would always discount such narrations if their origin is these commercial journals and / or internet. Those from old books, souvenirs, etc would at least have a higher proportion of truth.

Just my 2c.

Vijay